The Miscellany Manifesto

Random Musings of a Transient Soul





Connectivity Isn't Bad When It Looks So Darn Good...

The thing I hate most about mobile phones is when people call you up specifically to ask you where you are. Grrrr. And contrary to popular belief, mobile phones don't really facilitate a secret life- the parents almost always find out about the boyfriend who lives under feminine names in the phone book. And how can I forget my ever gnawing fear of brain tumours caused by all the waves? That's just freaky- I've given up standing near the microwave as well. And then ofcourse, there is the issue of overconnectivity.
That one really gets me. There have been instances where I was talking on the phone, chatting on the PC even as I tried to get some research done. Let me tell you, even Kali with her ten-fifteen hands would find that quite a job. It's just one of those times when you wish you had more fingers and a few more heads- mythology style.
Although the above might convince you into believing I hate mobile technology, materialism can be a real bugger sometimes. So even though I managed to remain the girl-who-is-silly-enough-not-to-own-a-mobile-and-is-quite-happy-about-it while I was at college in Mumbai, things changed immediately when I was in Bangalore. Upon arrival here, I was handed a dabba mobile phone, a Symat (haven't heard of it have you? Yes, it was that old) by my Uncle Sam because apparently we hadn't received the memo- Bangalore is the Big Bad City, not Mumbai.
Months passed and I began to get quite used to the big chunk of techno bulging in my pocket. (Does that sound weird?) My Symat and I had our days, days when he was pissed with me and days when I was pissed with him; days when he was adamant about not working and days when I banged him on the furniture to make him be less adamant. It was a rocky relationship. We managed for about 9 months when both of us decided we'd had enough of each other and parted ways.
I was scarred from that relationship, missing my Symat but willing to move on. That's when I chanced upon my T230, shiny, gleaming and practically beckoning me from a shop window. I still remember when I first laid eyes on him- a rainy June afternoon on Brigade Road. I knew we were made for each other. A few days later, after some pleading with the parents, they decided he was good enough for me and I brought him home.
In the first couple of months, it was pure bliss. It seemed like we could do anything- and hey, we almost could! Friends admired us, people paid compliments- we were quite a match. But then something awful happened, T230 fell ill due to mysterious circumstances. I took him to so many people, he was examined and rechecked. People even opened him up in vain attempts to make him better again- and although he recovered a little, he was never the same again. I knew he had only a few more months in him... It was a sad time for us both.
Then two weeks ago, his vital stats truly began to drop. It was difficult for him to do almost anything. I could see my beloved T230 was nearing his end. Then a few days ago, with a final blip for a goodbye, he was no more. Gone, just like that. I was in mourning. I couldn't believe how disconnected I felt, how utterly removed from the world. It was a terrible couple if days.
That was when it happened. People say there is no love at first sight, but then again, they must not have seen the Motorola Razr V3. It's got all the right bits for this season- lean, dark and sophisticated. How can a girl not fall headlong into love with a something so gorgeous? Materialism struck again, and waving all thoughts of "Isn't it a bit much for you?" and "But it's a corporate phone" aside, Razr, my new love, came home last night. Pure bliss, all over again.
Sure, some might say I'm just on the rebound from my T230. But when connectivity looks so darn good, how can it be a bad thing?
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 4:51 PM, Blogger NikhilS said...

I hate mobile phones. I use the Nokia 1108 only for work purposes.
I find it interesting that you did not consider buying a Nokia phone on the two ocassions you did buy a phone. Any reasons?    



At 5:14 PM, Blogger Seeking Clarity said...

I find Nokias to be chunky and overrated.    



At 6:10 PM, Blogger NikhilS said...

Its a damn cellphone. you just have to speak and text. where's overrating in that?    



At 7:10 PM, Blogger Seeking Clarity said...

To each his own Stevie boy    



At 12:37 AM, Blogger Naina said...

There is Roos water bottle who is Vikramaditya R. Singhania alias Golu.

My comp was Naazuk till she died on me.

Roo has suggested the phone be Andy. :-)

I like Worm Hole.

Or Warn-them-all?    



At 11:59 AM, Blogger Naina said...

Oh gender issues. You havent heard the Laws of Absurdity yet?

First Law:

Gender is relative - Roobin Bhoot

Second Law:

Gender may or may not be relative but all relatives have gender - Guru Kan Jet.    



At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe... I'm still stuck to using my Motorolla C115. Old faithful a good name?    



» Post a Comment